If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



This poem is called "Cold Feet"

It was fall when I woke up this morning
and I nearly cried
watering the flowers' final sparse and sleepy blooms

By the time I stood in corduroys
tasting a bite of turkey
with two hands around my coffee mug

I was ready
for the wind


------



I haven't written a poem in ages but I woke up with one. Also, a stranger randomly commented on my Hideout Block Party post from September 25 of last year, which is now an auspicious date... How much happens in a year! I reread my few posts since then and it made me want to post something.

The poem is about the way Midwestern weather teaches you to adjust. I love the seasons and I always change my mind about which one is my favorite, ready for each one as it comes and sad to see it go (okay, maybe not winter). Summer had me fooled this year though. I love summer more than ever. I love it. And I was dreading its end. In about 15 minutes this morning, I suddenly flipped from feeling heartbroken about the end of summer to excited and looking ahead with that crisp back-to-school energy. I forgot so much about fall until today: fabrics and sweaters and warm things to eat and drink and tights and the light and the energy of cool breezes. I also remembered how I always am so in love with Ben in the fall. That was part of the reason we wanted to have the wedding in September. I was distracted by biking in shorts and walking to the gelato place and concerts outside and the blissful ignorance of living in the moment, but there is something about fall that makes me feel solidly happy. It's good.

Summertime. Since the last post, Ben and I went to New York to visit friends, St. Paul for the Macalester 5 year reunion, Wauwatosa for my bridal shower and Door County for our last family vacation at The Farm. We biked another 150 miler through Wisconsin and each raised over $1000 for MS. We ate al fresco and saw free concerts in Millennium Park and played with trick bikes at Tour De Fat and drank margaritas out back at the Handlebar. We watched baseball at The Cell and in Wicker Park and on TV in our living room. We had a Memorial Day party. We went to Meredith's going away party, and Christine's going away party, and this weekend we're going to Moacir's going away party and Molly's going away party. We went to Emma's graduation party and months later helped her move into her dorm at Loyola. We put deposits on flowers, the Handlebar, Pulaski Park, setup a wedding website, made and sent out invitations, bought fancy clothes, got fancy jewelry made, made hairdo appointments, bought vases and balloons and serving ware, met with the photographer and baker and officiant, ordered rings on the internet. We went to Joe's funeral and met baby Isabella. I performed kids songs at seven birthday parties, five Family Fun Tent gigs, Wicker Park Fest, Bike Safety Fest, and on stage at the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park. It's A Girl played at Center Portion, the Green Mill, Folk & Roots and Phyllis's Musical Inn. Come Sund*y played at Space (my family came!) and recorded at Joyride Studios. I sang swing at the Old Town School's National Tap Day concert. The Lindsy Weinbrg Band played their debut at Folk & Roots. Ben produced a short film, shot two music videos, a couple live concerts, some commercials, the monthly Intrview Show. In two weeks, the Burnham Doc premieres and Come Sund*y plays at Jazz Fest.

I'm excited to play my fall songs. Moving on from "I get my kicks where I can get 'em" to "This fall, for the first time, my daydreams are fixed on the future that's yours and mine."

Now I will choose 15 photos of this summer.














4 Comments:

At 8/22/2009 2:40 PM, Blogger Joannie said...

Thank you for your beautiful words.

 
At 8/24/2009 7:57 AM, Blogger Joy said...

I'm so glad that you're back, with a poem and photos and good news of summer and fall.

 
At 8/25/2009 2:37 PM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Welcome back, we missed you.

 
At 8/30/2009 3:24 PM, Blogger betsyjane said...

So glad to be able to read about the life of my Lindsay. Love you lots!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home