If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



New dawn

This morning I woke up in a country with a black president.

Yesterday was my day off work, and Ben took the day off too. We sat on our couch in our little living room, coffee cups in one hand and champagne flutes in the other, watching the inauguration from entrances through to the parade. We cried. We yelled and laughed. It was a beautiful, unbelievable day.

I remember when Clinton was elected when I was in 5th grade, but I don't have any other memories of presidential politics that don't involve extreme disappointment. Disappointment in the American people, disappointment in the president, disappointment in the world, disappointment in humanity, disappointment in the future. Now it has all turned around. It is an incredible feeling to be lifted with hope, to dare to allow optimism to take charge. To feel excitement and pride about the American people, the president, the world, humanity, the future.

Watching Ben tear up at the magnitude of the historical moment and the barriers that were crumbling as Obama was sworn in reminded me of what caught my eye ten years ago. Ben stood out in our suburban high school as a fierce advocate for equality. He raged against capitalism and prejudice, and his political sensibilities made him unpopular with many and a fascinating source of inspiration to others like me. Since then I have learned the many aspects of Ben's personality and come to love everything about him, but watching his reaction yesterday reminded me of his commitment to doing what is best for our world. It made me love him even more, and what was most overwhelming was the proof on the stage in Washington that our country was making that commitment as well.

3 Comments:

At 1/21/2009 4:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

dammit all, lindsay, you made me cry while studying in the union:)

i cried yesterday while watching tv too...and also did a joyful little dance when i realizes part of the benediction was "lift every voice and sing". though i will now have it in my head for the next 6 months.

 
At 2/09/2009 8:11 PM, Blogger DebbieJeanLimon said...

And he's cute too!

 
At 2/09/2009 10:17 PM, Blogger DebbieJeanLimon said...

But Seriously - Politics is life - for so many of us - it's how we view the world and our part in it. I will never understand how James Carville and Mary Matalin could be happily married. I've spent way too much time trying to figure that out - Seriously

 

Post a Comment

<< Home