If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



Ben vs. Lindsay

Reconvening at home after our separate drunken exploits, Ben and I got into a discussion/argument about the awesomeness/suckiness of certain classic rock bands.

Finn's dad has a ticket to see this huge show with lots of bands; ZZ Top, The Pretenders, The Stray Cats, and REO Speedwagon. We talked to him about it today at a rooftop party he threw at his apartment building. Tonight Ben said, "Tex is a rocker!" and we remembered how his friends all made fun of REO Speedwagon. I mentioned that they were the only group I'd like to see in that bunch. Ben said how much he doesn't like REO Speedwagon, and all the bands like them, including Journey, Boston, Kansas, and Foriegner. I reacted in shocked defense, and immediately looked up the best of REO Speedwagon on Amazon; the recommended albums were Best of Styx, Best of Journey, Best of Foriegner, Best of Kansas.

I want to own all of these albums. And throw in some Queen. And while you're at it, some Chicago, and The Band, and America.... This very morning I bought a ticket to see the Doobie Brothers at Ravinia with some friends from OTS.

I love me some power ballads. And dudes singing big harmonies in high voices while there are electric guitars playing. And tempo changes in rock songs.

Screw you Ben, with your Gang of Four nonsense. I'll be over here wailing on Guitar Hero.

10 Comments:

At 6/03/2007 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

REO Speedwagon still gets the finger.

Also, Gang of Four rules. But you'll never like them casue you are addicted to classic rock. For shame.

 
At 6/03/2007 8:41 AM, Blogger Joannie said...

If I were to suggest one of the aforementioned bands that REALLY rock, it would be, unquestionably, the Doobie Brothers. Yes, they have some of my favorite ballads, (lots with Michael McDonald) but I have never rocked or had more fun as the 3 rimes (over 20 years) that I went to hear them live. (Tennessee, 1973, Alpine Valley, 1980, and Summerfest, sometime in the 90s) I can understand Ben's view on the others. They all have great sing along songs, and get you in a good mood if you feel like some nostalgia. But the Doobies (if Patrick Simmons and Cornelius Bumpus, are still with them,)will tear it up anywhere. Chicago in its heyday were my favorite, as well, but again, a specialized sound that is difficult to categorize. Like, how do you explain Steely Dan to someone? I have to listen to Gang of Four, to shear what you're talking about, Ben. But please, you two, put on "We can work it out" and declare a musical ceasefire!

 
At 6/03/2007 12:40 PM, Blogger Bench said...

While I sincerely appreciate Joannie's well thoughtout and heartfelt comments about music, I must quote the new movie "Knocked Up" when I say, "Steely Dan gargles my balls."

No offense.

 
At 6/04/2007 8:07 AM, Blogger Joannie said...

"Only A Fool Would Say That."

No offense. (I don't even know you.)

 
At 6/04/2007 9:25 AM, Blogger j said...

i'm be there with you, lindsay. i would sing journey all day if someone would pay me to do it.

 
At 6/04/2007 3:53 PM, Blogger NOTASALAMANDER said...

I think anyone can hear the over-produced, formulaic sound of these bands, but at the same time, it just rocks so hard. I don't know, I have to be in the right mood for this stuff, but when it comes on, I could listen to "Don't Stop Believin'" for hours. I think I would include Journey, Boston, Kansas, Foreigner, Loverboy, Styx and REO Speedwagon as "80s Hair Rock," while music like Steely Dan, The Doobies, Toto, Kenny Loggins, and Christopher Cross are more "Yacht Rock," as dubbed by the internet program of the same name. http://www.yachtrock.com/
Whatever the case, I like this music because it takes a certain principle and really goes with it. much can be same for the Post-Punk sound of the Ultravox, Joy Division and Gang of Four. But while one is clean, virtuosic distorted guitar and Vocal harmonies, and the other is a dirty, emotional, garage sound, the fact that both these genre's have had strong backing since the 70s and 80s shows that they were both producing a sound that people were looking for, and has remained strong to this day. In the words of Yacht Rock, "It's called the 80s, and it's going to be around forever"

 
At 6/04/2007 7:26 PM, Blogger tiodan said...

Journey is a tactic that Dan uses against me to make me do the dishes.

BUT... Queen? Loves of my life! Songs of my heart! Never have songs been written for better belting.

and that is the damn truth.
j

 
At 6/06/2007 12:42 PM, Blogger erica p said...

There will always be love in my heart for the power ballad, but I do realize that I share this love with many a Plain White Tease ;) For me, hearing a popular tune conjures up images of a distinct time and a place; the singular image conjured by nearly every one the famous ballads to which you are referring is that of Dude in a white baseball cap with a sunburned face, sweaty, smoking a cigarette and spilling a beer, arm around an orange-skinned girl, just screaming. Then again... what's not to love about said image?

 
At 6/14/2007 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, most people who know me know that I can listen to Bob Seger albums like its my job. By which I mean, the best job I've ever had, one with great benefits, that I wake up in the morning excited to go to. I love classic rock.

Also, of note, is the fact that I had a dream this morning that you mailed me a turkey sandwich. You had written about the best turkey sandwich of your life on your blog, and then mailed said sandwich to 8 people, because that's how many buns come in a bag. I don't even like turkey sandwiches, but I ate the one from the mail and it was damn good. It had potato salad (which I also do not like) and guacamole on it, served on a toasted bun. True (dream) story.

love, former neighbor emily

 
At 6/15/2007 5:17 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I dare all of you to have an awesomer dream about me than Emily did and blog about it. Truly awesome comment.

Good comments all around, actually. All it takes to rile up the masses is classic rock critique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home