If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



I made it!

Yesterday I had to teach four 45-minute classes and then in the evening I had a show with the Babas. I had been worried about getting through that day since my sickness really set in on Monday afternoon, and especially since it had been bad on Wednesday. I refrained from talking to anyone in between classes, but my voice was still raspy and delayed by the fourth one.... Stayed silent all afternoon drinking tea and sucking on lozenges and even spraying weird herbal sprays into my throat, and with the aid of a nice hot mic I made it through my gig!

What a relief. I hadn't realized how much my worrying was getting me down. I am a worrier.

So now I feel basically better except for an occasional cough. And one huge middle-of-the-night coughing fit. I'm crossing my fingers for uninterrupted sleep tonight. The worst part of my coughing fit was that when I woke up, for some terrible and unintelligable reason, I was dreaming the song Achey Breaky Heart. For serious. So then I was stuck with it throughout my fit, and every time I awoke to cough again later in the night, it started up again in my head. "Don't tell my heart, my achey breaky heart, I just don't think it understands...." And then my brain started to recall the line dance that goes with the song, which I know for some reason. Probably from when we had line dance as a unit in gym in middle school. What was up with that? You can only imagine how much a group of midwest 7th graders loved that unit. In any case, my brain is SO WEIRD.

I'm really sorry I just got that song in your head.

Ben's uncle Keith calls a song in your head an earworm.

I'm all about italics today. They're so slanty.

I ended up working today, picking up a shift from a coworker. It wasn't bad though; it is a slow week of the session, and I spent much of my shift working to clean the office. The school is an old-timey, quirky kind of place, but the kitch and dust and crap that had accumulated in the office was over the top. Earlier in the week our boss took a bunch of stuff down and cleared a lot of things out, and I followed in her footsteps and scraped off old scotch tape and organized and went through the small item lost and found.... The office has the potential to be really nice, without losing its home-grown quirkiness. I am happy to help it along its way.

Since I was working 9-5 on Saturday, Ben decided at the last minute that it would be a good time to go home to Wauwatosa. So now on top of working all day Saturday, I have no plans for Saturday night or all day Sunday. LAME. I will probably hang out with Meara, who is in town, which will be certain fun.

3 Comments:

At 9/24/2007 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay,

I am a big huge worrier too. I am thinking too much about school, and penny, and homecoming, and band and senior year, and I feel like I am going to explode! Ugh......I hope your worrying headaches don't hurt as much as mine do!

Missing you! Julia

 
At 9/25/2007 7:49 AM, Blogger betsyjane said...

Hey you worriers... "DON'T WORRY...BE HAPPY!!!"

Depressed Ant (ha-ha)

 
At 9/27/2007 1:17 PM, Blogger Joy said...

We had to line-dance to Achy Breaky Heart, too, though I'm not sure I could remember the moves. Our gym teacher was an avid line dance enthusiast.

A couple of months ago I was crossing the street--a huge, 6-lane thoroughfare, where I'm never quite sure if the traffic will stop, even if the green crosswalk man is lit--and up to the crosswalk roared a huge motorcycle with a huge man on it, and he was BLARING Achy Breaky Heart, with a totally straight face and a black bandanna on. I started giggling helplessly in the middle of the street, and no one knew why. Because it was Moscow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home