If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



My wallet got stolen.

Yesterday. At work. From the coat cabinet in the back corner of the front office. While we were all working there. Me and one of the teachers performing had our wallets swiped from our coat pockets.

There was a big field trip concert happening and it was very busy, with a lot of people coming in and out of the office. There were three volunteers helping out who put their coats into the cabinet in the office, even though usually volunteers keep their things somewhere else, for exactly this reason. One young guy in particular who was volunteering for his first time is kind of suspect, but his parents (who are very involved at the school) have searched his stuff and nothing turned up.

It's a total drag. Credit cards, debit cards, CTA card, driver's license, student ID (no more discounts!), nearly-full buy 9 get your 10th coffee free card. Called and cancelled everything, filed a police report, the whole deal. It was the wallet that I made, which is not replaceable. Ben and I were hoping to buy tickets to London soon-- trickier with no credit card. No online shopping at all for a while, which sucks for Christmas. This is the second item I have had stolen from my own office at work, right under our noses. The room is never unoccupied. It's a sickening feeling.

When I got home from work yesterday Ben presented me with a wallet he made me out of tape. It had money in it too. He is totally awesome.

Gotta go down to the DMV tomorrow for a new ID. Gonna be a real Illinoisan. Weird. I feel like I am betraying some deep-seated mistrust and hatred of the state which all Wisconsinites harbor. I'm sorry, Wisconsin. My heart will always belong to you, even as my feet traverse the slushy sidewalks of the Windy City.

4 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Joannie said...

Remember when I said that stepping in wetness with socks on was my worst?(remember, Jana?) Well, I lied. Getting your wallet stolen from a safe place among people you trust during the holiday season is by far my worst. No, it's even worse when it's one of your kids. I'm sorry on behalf of all the decent people. Why can't they steal from someone who has money to spare? I know, it's nothing personal, it's just because it was there. But nobody deserves it. Especially my generous, share-with-anyone Lindsay. Ben made up for it. Almost. He is something else, that man. He certainly took some of the sting out of being violated like that. That is real caring.

 
At 12/08/2006 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sucks so much. this doesn't really address the issue of erosion of trust in the workplace, but maybe it's about time for the school to provide yall with some lockers.

 
At 12/11/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger betsyjane said...

Totally SUCKS!! I hope KARMA catches up with the loser and s/he ends up with coal in her/his stocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12/12/2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Sometimes there are no words... only duct tape and the people who love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home