If I Only Had A Blog

I could while away the hours, conferrin with the flowers, consultin with the logs. And my head I'd be scratchin while my thoughts were busy hatchin if I only had a blog. I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le in trouble or in fog. With the thoughts I'd be thinkin, I could be another Lincoln if I only had a blog. I would not be just a nuffin, my head all full of stuffin, my heart all full of smog. I would dance and be merry; life would be a ding-a-derry if I only had a blog.



I killed my plant.

I think I have to go to a greenhouse and just say, "Hi, do you have any cold-loving plants that don't need much sunlight or attention?"

This week was pretty good, though I've been kind of sick. Didn't go to see Lez Zeppelin after all; spent a quality night doing dishes and laundry and going to sleep. My sinuses have been on strike, stomping around waving signs in the air and poisoning my throat and face. I have had more tea and water and soup this week than any other time in my life. I had this gig on Wednesday night at the cultural center, plus lots of rehearsals and regular WW teaching and was really nervous about the state of my vocal chords and ability to resonate. In the end, I made it though the sorer, tireder times and was nice and clear for Wednesday night.

We were part of this big performance art event at the Cultural Center called Site Unseen. Here is a tiny description of the night. Our piece involved butoh dance, a giant domed room that I got to sing in, plexiglass backpacks, iridescent short shorts, Taavo Lily Ben Alex JulieB and me (different Ben), traffic-like fastwalking, slow motion, convulsing, body dragging, insect movements, and I got to wear a baby blue BMX bike helmet. The piece finally came together really well. Taavo had invited me to be a part of it, and I invited Julie. We were there mainly as vocalists, imitating an Arvo Part piece in one part as we improvised falling minor scales over a sustained string drone for eight minutes. Then later I sang the John Rutter melody to Be Thou My Vision, first just on oohs and ahs and then with the words, acapella, slowly, while the group of performers walked around the room super slowly. It took about 13 minutes. But it was really fun to sing in there and sounded great. Julie and I joined in then for some walking and movement stuff. I really had fun being a part of a performance like that. It was the first non-concert peformance I've had in three years. It felt great and it was fun to get to know the group. Ben came to the show and sat through both runs. Then afterwards we went to Skylark with Julie and her roommate Brad and Jason. Very fun times!

Monday was the 7 year anniversary since my first date with Ben, after opening night of my high school's performance of See How They Run. 7 years is a long time! We went out to a very fancy restaurant called May Street Market. We had drinks, and then appetizers (I picked the maytag blue cheesecake with red wine poached bosc pear, arugula, spiced pecans, and bartlet pear sorbet-- stunning!), entrees (I had roasted venison medallions in a pistachio crust with chive spaetzle, carrot puree, and lingonberry sauce-- hooooooweee!!!) and dessert (vanilla semifreddo, caramelized bananas, double chocolate ganache, caramel sauce-- g'damn!) Ben had some kind of salmon appetizer and ducky dinner. It was super extra fun and fancy. We had a really really fun night together.

Last night we got dinner at Smoke Daddy with Jess and Taavo. Meaty! Saucy!

Fun for tonight remains to be determined.

2 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I can't believe that "See How They Run" was SEVEN years ago -- I remember coming home from college to watch y'all in that show.

Second, get a Peace Lily -- they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to kill, need very little light and if they grow enough in the pot, you'll get lots of flowers which sprout when the plant is pot bound.

And I have to plug this to you -- I don't know how much TV you watch or what you are into, but you should check out the show "Firefly" if you ever have the time to sit and watch some TV -- it's very good. :)

 
At 11/19/2006 2:02 AM, Blogger j said...

i don't know angie, but i agree with her.
#1 peace lilies are impossible to kill. i've had one since freshman year of college, and though i've "killed" it several times, it always seems to come back to life; though i'm terrible with plants; and
#2 firefly is lovely. i would reccommend it to just about anyone, particularly those with a good sense of humor, which i know you have. it only has one short season, so it's easy to get through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home